vendredi 24 novembre 2006

How to treat disappointment

I have just finished watching The Terminal, and I am absolutely disgusted. Ok, the film has got nothing to do with the story it's meant to tell. That's one fact. Merhan Karimi Nasseri, the real one, is in hospital by the way, I just found out. That means I will not get to pay him a visit next time I go home, hopefully around Christmas, through Paris airport. I don't really pay him a visit... but I generally seat nearby to get a sandwich or a coffee waiting for my flight. I will miss the ritual.

But what really sickened me was the commercial break. Between shampoo for shiny hair and revolutionary toilet cleaner, the unmissable Ferrero Rocher ad. And I go Mmmmmmhhh... (check "My heroes" section) ... but oh my goodness how is THAT possible.... I mean... what ?! Where was the Ambassador ?? I mean just come on people !! This is wrong... wrong I tell you ! Stupid women jumping around with giant Ferrero Rocher and a joke of a pyramid and absolutely no Ambassador to spoil us tonight... They changed the ad !! How could they ! Disgust. Will miss the spoiling badly :(.

Let's just talk about something else.... dinner. In protest tonight I went for good proper tradition:

Grilled Beef Steak and Cauliflower Gratin: Bifteck grillé et chou-fleur en gratin, as my people say. A very French dinner.

Take a nice tender piece of meat, one cauliflower, half a litre milk, some nutmeg, salt, pepper and rosemary, 30g butter and 30g flour, Cheese (Gruyère, Cheddar type). Optional: 1 egg.

Open a bottle of wine and pour a glass for yourself. Always treat the Cook.

- Cut the cauliflower into small chunks and cook. My way: in the microwave for 8mn in a bowl, covered, with half a glass of water.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flower and mix well. Few seconds on gentle heat.
- When the mixture is bubbling pour the milk in one go, add salt, pepper and nutmeg and let simmer for a maximum of 10mn, stirring continuously.
- Stop the heat and add some grated cheese. I also add an egg for richness and creamyness.
- Drain the cauliflower, put in a plate and cover with sauce. Grate some cheese on top and place a few mn in the oven or under the grill to "gratiner": melt the cheese then get a yummy crust.
- Meanwhile grill your steak with salt, pepper and some herbs like rosemary or thyme.
You can add or replace cauliflower with potatoes, carrots, brocoli, anything you like.
Serve with the rest of the wine (if any) and a baguette (if you have). Bon appétit !

Now I'm going to treat myself to some yum yum yummy Green & Black chocolate :) and while Ronan finishes the wine I might have a Rhum and Mango juice cocktail. Or two. Or three. It's Friday night. Maybe four.

2 commentaires:

LadyDeerskin And Her Service Dog a dit…

I had heard that Merhan was in the hospital, but nothing else. Can you tell me where I can find out how he is? I had worried about this guy since I first heard his story some years ago, and tried to keep tabs on him- rather a difficult thing to do, since I live in rural Kansas, in the USA! my email is deerskin at oct.net please put in the usual @ in when writing- trying to avoid spambots!

Gail in Kansas

Sandrine a dit…

Hey Gail, I have no more news than that but I'll have a chance to check soon and let you know if I saw him...